Thursday, February 25, 2010

Button Crazy!


I've been called button crazy a couple of times now. Now that I'm working alone, I guess I'll call myself it. It is justified. I'm button crazy. Hundreds of buttons and more and more- it makes you crazy... every step, you do over and over again. Thank goodness pottery teaches you patience, because you need it when working a project as tedious as buttons. This batch is my fourth large endeavor, and I'm sure Mary from Fat Cat Pottery (see below) is smiling when she's reading this because she won't have to deal with them in the kiln.



In this batch, I'm expanding my shapes to include
square, heart and stars. I'm also experimenting with new stamps and Speedball underglazes that I got as a gift. I'm not too sure about the blending they claim to be able to do- I tried to make a dark brown and ended up with grey.






Buttons and magnets are great for experiments; textures, underglazes, stains and glazes- as long as you have the patience!









So, the fourth batch of buttons is done- now I need to get busy working on smaller ones! The projects and the experimenting never end!

More about Fat Cat Pottery...
Before Moving to TN, I was working out of Fat Cat Pottery in Wilmington, NC. I miss that studio so much! Mary the owner, and her husband Sonny are two fantastic people. Mary is a fabulous potter, with a wealth of knowledge that she was so willing to share with others- Thank you Mary! The other members of the studio were always there to inspire, share ideas with and talk about life. I made some wonderful life-long friends there- I can't wait to go back and visit!







1 comment:

  1. Can't believe you are on the button kick again, I had some nice pictures of the ones you did back at Fat Cat. They are great buttons and you should do very well with them.

    ReplyDelete