Saturday, April 10, 2010

Introducing the Pottery Empire!

I know, it's been a long time since my last post- but
I had a good reason....
I moved across town. After packing, moving, working and unpacking- today was the first day I've been in my "studio" again in a long while- and it was AMAZING. It's almost like you forget how great it is until you're back at it. I'm happy to be back at it- in my POTTERY EMPIRE.

A few weeks back, our lease was up- so we were mainly looking for a place to live that would better suit pottery (ie. the kiln).... at our previous place, I was talking my greenware to another studio to be bisqued, glazed and fired. Although I had a kiln, it was mainly just a conversation piece with the neighbors. The electricians wanted way too much to put in a new outlet- when we might have been moving anyway- which brings us to the new place.

After two weeks of heavy searching and looking at some real shitholes, we drove past a place with a for rent sign in the yard (this is the absolute best way of finding a place to rent, even with our ever-growing advertisements- 2/3 past place were found this way). And then we found it... an entire downstairs- which becomes my Pottery Empire, a place to hook up the kiln,

a fenced in yard, an above ground pool and it was cheaper then before. AMAZING. And... here in is the Empire- a few weeks later and 95% unpacked....
I have a lot of room to create and a room for finished product/packing for shipping/shows.






I have a great view of the pool from
my wheel. I can't wait to open it for the season!








And the first thing to be made in the Empire....


these are tiles for glaze tests.
Since I'll be making all my glazes from raw chemicals, I'll need to test tiles to try each glaze on- before I commit 20 mugs to a certain color/color combo. I threw rings of text tiles in each type of clay I use. P-5 Highwater Porcelain, 112 Brown Stoneware from Standard Clay and 266 Dark Brown Stoneware from Standard Clay- this is my favorite- it will stain your clothes and make a glaze look super rich. After throwing the rings, I labeled what type of clay was used, as well as number for later referencein my glaze notes.
Next, I chopped apart the tiles

and set them under a towel for even drying.
After the tiles were complete, I made some berry bowls- the back stairs right outside the garage and right by the pool make a great location for drying pots quick in the sun.
I am so happy and lucky to
have my Pottery Empire!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Anita...the new place looks great and you do have a lot of pottery stuff. I get a good feeling from seeing the photos of your new place. I can't wait to come for a visit.
    Love you! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. SU WEET!!!! Great hearing from you today. Enjoy! Hope to see you soon. Hugs

    ReplyDelete