Thursday, March 24, 2011

Kiln Opening!

I can't believe it's almost been an entire year since my last post. 2010 was a crazy year, I've never travelled so much in my entire life. It's good to be back and closer to my Pottery Empire- let the pottery crazy begin!
Speaking of crazy...
This little guy will soon be my new kiln god, as soon as he's fired and glazed he'll make his home watching over the kiln. I know it's crazy, but I think it's a pre-req to be a potter.
He's cute.

This is the kiln he'll be watching over- so far I've been super lucky and the firings have gone smoothly (knock on wood)... but a little funny looking kiln god is always good to have. The very last step in making ceramics is the most anticipated.

Opening a glaze kiln for the first time is like looking under the christmas tree when you're 5 years old- it doesn't get any better then this... let me show you.
I unloaded this kiln last week. The picture above shows the kiln when it is still too hot to open (195 degrees F), yet I couldn't stay away.
The last 300 degrees cooling takes F O R E V E R.
Of course, peeking at the top shelf is always a special treat and a little preview when it's below 400.
As soon as that baby gets around 100 degrees F, it's time for the big reveal and unload! Ta-Da!





This is what the top shelf looked like... beautiful!












The next shelf down has more surprises...










The third layer down....











The fourth layer...











And lastly, the bottom of the kiln...







Next, it's time to take a closer look at all the new treasures... beautiful marbleized clay (porcelain, speckled brown stoneware and dark brown stoneware), glazed in clear...

When it's all laid out on the table, it's a beautiful sight... finished work!
Berry bowls galore!
Opening a glaze kiln is always a surprise- after days and days of hard work- it all pays off!

Some of this work can be found at potteryhead.etsy.com
The rest of it will be at my next show; Arts in the Park in Richmond, VA April 30th-May 1st.


No comments:

Post a Comment